Saturday, November 14, 2015



I don't want to be a Mitläufer[1]. What Can I Do?

1. Nothing. Most of the time when I disagree, I choose to keep my head down and soldier through. After all, my individual opinion doesn't change anything; there's nothing I can do that will have a direct effect on Church policy. 

But this time is different. And there are actually quite a number of things I can do.The available options and my choices depend on circumstances and position, my sincere beliefs, how cautious or daring I feel like being . . . 

2. Speak up, with my friends, with my family, in Sunday School class, in casual discussions. Let people know my views. “Come out” as an ally. 

3. Reach out to gay people in my ward. Reject the common distinction between active and inactive. Reject the cultural practice of shunning the apostate or excommunicate. Befriend and welcome and make them part of my life, including my church experience. Thinking militantly, defy the Church's apparent effort to exclude married gay people and their children from the active life of the Church.  

4. [If I hadn't already] Turn in my temple recommend and be noisy about it. Tell my bishop why. Tell my friends. And stay in the pew on Sunday. Take a little scarlet letter for myself, in solidarity with my gay friends and neighbors who are asked to wear a large one.

5. [If I had one] Don't turn in my temple recommend, but in the next TR interview insist on being open and specific about my support for gay members, for marriage, for whatever I feel strongly about. Force my bishop and stake president to confront the questions.

6. When asked to speak, insist on using Matthew 19:14 and/or Moroni 8:8-15 as my text. Which may mean I'm not asked to speak or teach, but that's a form of dissent by itself.

7. If I am part of a disciplinary council in any role, speak the truth as I see it. Do not stay quiet or go along with the majority. If that means decisions aren't unanimous, the world won't come to an end. Or maybe a little part of it will, and we'll all be better for it.

8. Advocate with my bishop that he not follow the new policies. He probably will anyway, but don't let him be passive or casual about it.

9. If I have a decision-making role, choose to not follow the new policies.

10. Consider carefully and honestly who and what I "sustain" the next time there's a call to sustain, in a general meeting or an interview. 

11. Resign, but rather than a simple letter of resignation, make it noisy. Talk with my bishop, confront my stake president, tell them why and how I feel. It may not change anything immediately, but the hearts and minds of the bishops and stake presidents are an important field for advocacy.

12. Write up a list like this and post it.



[1] Mitläufer is “fellow traveler” or “hanger on” in English. The German word was used after World War II to refer to people who were not charged with Nazi(a) crimes but whose involvement with the Nazis was considered significant.
(a)              Notwithstanding Godwin's law ("As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1") the term Mitläufer was used by a German friend almost immediately after the LDS Church’s new policies regarding same-sex couples and their children became public. It has been on my mind for the last week.

No comments: