Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Reactions to Policy Changes by the LDS Church
3 of 3


Dear Bishop:

I call your attention to policy changes regarding marriage between persons of the same gender.[1] I have many thoughts, but for purposes of this letter just two things.

With regard to apostasy:
I am married and celebrate my wife, three children, and four grandchildren. If I were gay (by whatever combination of nature and nurture), subject only to finding a loving and companionate partner I firmly believe that I would also be married. I would choose to be married. I believe marriage is a moral and righteous choice, that it is good for me, for my children, and for society.
Perhaps this makes me apostate in my heart? So be it.


With regard to children: 

I believe this policy is wrong, that it is contrary to scripture and gospel teachings. Jesus said, “Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:14) See [http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/11/05/60188/] for further explication. If I were (once again) a bishop, I would not, I could not in good conscience, implement this policy. I urge you to consider your obligations to the children in the same way.

Peace be with you,

Christian E. Kimball.

 


[1] Many LDS sources, including the Handbook of Instructions, use the term “same-gender marriage” or “same-sex marriage” or “gay marriage.” These are all incorrect. In the legal systems I know about, including in the United States, there is no separate category marriage for same-sex couples. In every case that I know of, the correct term is simply “marriage.” This is worth calling out because it is a distinction. or non-distinction. at the very heart of litigation and legislation regarding marriage.
 

No comments: